Pages

Sunday, January 1, 2012

Happy New Year!! Did you Go The Distance?

Another year has come to a close. For the most part, it was pretty uneventful for me, which I am very thankful for. Of course, there were many great events that I was fortunate to experience, but all-in-all, a pretty good year. Most people like to set resolutions for the new year, but for me, I'd rather set goals -- primarily swimming and fitness goals.

2012 marks the beginning of my third year back in swimming. Since returning to the pool, I've participated in the "Go The Distance" swim challenge put on by United States Masters Swimming. As part of my membership, I am able to keep a Fitness Log, or FLOG (Aaargh --- we be pirate swimmers, matey!) as we like to refer to it, where I can keep track of my swimming and other fitness endeavors.

The first year that I participated was in 2009, but since I started late, I didn't log many miles. 2010 was my first full year and I set and met a goal of 250 miles. My goal for 2011 was 200 miles, which I came very close to meeting (I logged 192 miles). I'm okay with not making the goal as I was more concerned with quality over quantity last year.

For 2012, I've set a goal of 444,444 yards (269.32 miles). As in past years, participants receive special items upon reaching certain goals (swim caps, water bottles, swimsuits, and more). Nike has been sponsoring the event for the past few years and I suspect they will continue for 2012.

Happy New Year! I hope you meet your goals this coming year!