Pages

Wednesday, December 28, 2011

Old Rittenhouse Road

I took a nice stroll with Chiquita just after lunch along Old Rittenhouse Road, which is about a mile from my house. Parts of this road still exist, but the section between Williams Field and Power Road where we went walking was decommissioned several years ago during the housing boom. I love walking along the railroad tracks. I always find something interesting (railroad spikes, old glass telephone line insulators, baseballs from the high schools in the area, and lots of cast off junk). The other perk is when the occasional train comes rolling by.
Close to the end of our walk, I noticed some writing on the side of the railroad track and decided to get a picture. While setting up my shot, Chiquita walked right into my field of view, so I asked her to stand and got a really nice picture of her. She blocked the writing, which states "100% Power Road --->". It's pointing in the direction of Power Road, but what does 100% mean?
The next picture shows a farm road that runs along the irrigation canal where it crosses the tracks. In the background, you can see Four Peaks, the Superstition Mountains, and the water tower at ASU Polytechnic.
The most interesting part of our walk came when a large hawk I had noticed in the area decided to fly over us and really gave Chiquita the once over. When I first saw the hawk, I put my dog on her leash just in case the hawk wanted to snatch her up. You might think this is a bit far-fetched, but a friend of mine had a close call with a very large owl and his dog out in Gold Canyon. Birds of prey don't care if it's a Chihuahua like mine or a jack rabbit. They're about the same size and food is food. Actually, a jack rabbit is bigger than my dog. LOL. Anyway, we were walking along when I saw the hawk's shadow pass over us. I looked up and it was close enough for me to see its eyes. It looked at me and then craned its head and looked directly at Chiquita, more than once. I told it "forget it, bird" and it slowly glided away in search of another critter for lunch.