Pages

Tuesday, January 10, 2012

Union Pacific Engine 844

I was sitting in my living room on November 12, 2011 and almost jumped out of my chair from surprise -- did I just hear an old steam locomotive whistle?? I ran outside to listen (my house is within 1/2 mile of a rail crossing), and sure enough, I could hear it loud and clear. I didn't get to see it, but it was Union Pacific's Engine 844 on a trip through Arizona and New Mexico for our states' upcoming Centennials. I found a great video when it made a similar trip through Northern California, and it was almost as good as being there. When they blow the whistle, I tear up every time. I absolutely love trains, especially old, historic ones. Here a link to facebook photos of it's pass through Arizona and New Mexico. Be warned, the first minute or so of the video as it leaves the train yard is loud, but the best sound of the whistle can be heard as it travels through Jack London Square in Oakland.