Pages

Monday, January 2, 2012

Polar Bear Swim at Life Time Fitness

Well, as it happens every year, the gym was overrun with people wanting to make good on their New Year's resolutions. The indoor pool was absolutely overflowing with several people on deck waiting for a lane. I ran into my Russian friend, Val, who was a bit dismayed by the fact that he might have to wait. I noticed the outdoor pool was open and two guys were swimming, so I nodded in that direction and said we had another option. So, we ventured outside to check it out. Having swum in that pool during two previous winters, I know how cold it can get. I stuck my toe in and figured it might be somewhere in the mid-60s, and since the two guys who were already in weren't having any trouble, I decided to give it a go. Val, on the other hand, politely declined. He shook my hand and said "you're my hero" and went back inside to wait for a lane.

I have found that it really helps to wet yourself before getting in, so I scooped up some water and wet down my arms, legs, chest, and face. I made sure to get my cap and goggles set before jumping in so I could start swimming right away. WOW!! Talk about cold -- it took at least 200 yards of swimming before I was comfortable and for the first 50, the temperature took my breath away. I'm guessing the water was about 60 degrees. Not cold by some in the open water community, but for an Arizona pool swimmer, 60 degrees is downright frigid.

I persevered and knocked out a nice 3000 yard aerobic workout (no fins, and only 400 w/paddles and a pull buoy). What a great start to the New Year. :)

The funny thing is, several people (mostly men) came out to ask me how the water was, and my reply was always the same "cold" (said with a smile). They all had a similar response when they tested the temperature with their toes -- I think they thought I was crazy (but in a good way).

This is how imagined myself swimming today: