Pages

Tuesday, November 20, 2012

Polly Want a Cracker?

Whenever I visit my sister in Lakewood, CA, I can count on being woken up every morning by a large flock of "feral" Red-Crowned parrots that are making their way from their roosting area to their feeding area. Sometimes in the early afternoon, a few will roost in the large Sycamore trees that line my sister's street. I've snapped a few pictures of them, but without having a good telephoto lens, they look like green blobs with a splash of red.
Here are a few photos taken near my sister's neighborhood by someone with a decent camera (http://californiaparrots.us/RCPgallery/gallery_RCP.html).
These birds are so beautiful, social, and raucous!
You definitely know when they're in the neighborhood. :)
In a Sycamore tree notch 
 Taking flight from a Liquid Amber tree
A little toe nibble.