Pages

Wednesday, November 7, 2012

Happy 3rd Swim Anniversary

Well, it's hard to believe that it has been three years since I made the decision to get back into the pool. 2012 has been a great swim year, and it's not over yet. The highlights of this year include:

  • Attending my good friend Elaine's 50th birthday party in California and swimming at the Belmont Plaza
  • Swimming in the annual Sun Devil Masters Sprint Invitational
  • Attending club socials, including two trips to Saguaro Lake, where I finally learned to water ski
  • Visited Elaine and her husband Bruce in Georgia, and attended a long-course meet (I also got to meet the legendary Masters swimmer Anne Dunavin)
  • Swimming the La Jolla Rough Water Swim for the very first time (totally awesome)
I have another swim meet coming up this weekend (Ron Johnson Invitational), which will be followed up by another great social. I tell you, Masters swimming means everything to me. I can't imagine my life now without it.
Here's a collage highlighting the past year. Starting at the top left are Anne and Elaine post-meet at the University of Georgia pool (and yes, 96 year old Anne swam in the meet), below them, I'm pointing out the Arizona flag on my cap. I had come a long way from AZ to GA to attend a swim meet. The two hug shots are me and Elaine. The top photo is at the Georgia meet in June, the bottom photo was taken the day after her 50th birthday (can you believe she is 50?!) at the Martin Luther King pool in Long Beach. The group photo at the bottom left was taken the night before the La Jolla Rough Water Swim, with most of the folks in the picture swimming the event. Directly to the right of the group photo is a snippet of me at the LJRWS finish. Next to that in the middle is me "hangin' loose" with my finisher's medal. The photo above shows me on the back of one of the boats we made use of during one of our lake trips, and finally, the photo at the bottom right shows me with a few of my swim club friends after a swim meet. Fun, fun, fun, fun, fun!! I can't wait to see what the next year brings my way.