Pages

Monday, July 5, 2010

If this can could talk...

...what a story it could tell. While visiting some friends at the Kit Carson RV Park in Flagstaff over the 4th of July weekend, I stumbled across an ancient oil can in a field behind the park. This particular RV park, which is located on Route 66, was first opened in the 20's, and I'm guessing this can has been hanging around since the 50's.

I was amazed to find that this particular can was marketed by a company in Long Beach, CA -- my home town. I know the can is old, as the zip code is listed as simply "7", instead of the newer code of 90807. The change to the new 5-digit code occurred in 1963, so at the very least, this can is at least 50 to 60 years old and has seen 50 to 60 snowy winters and countless people and critters walking around, and here it sat undisturbed until I came along. I don't know why I am so intrigued by something like an old, rusty, flattened, motor oil can, but I had to take it home and add it to my blog.

I Googled and Googled, but could not find any images or web content on Trailway 100% Pure Paraffin Base Motor Oil. It's hard to read the company name, but from can I make out, it was the Humes Refining Company. Here are pictures of the front and back of the can.

Here's what I was able to glean from the back of the can:

Trailway 100% Pure Paraffin Base Motor Oil
Superior lubrication for ?? motors. This oil contains approved additives.
Detergent for engine cleanliness, oxidation inhibitor for long life and freedom from bearing corrosion.
Marketed by
Humes Refining Company
Long Beach 7, CALIF.