Pages

Sunday, July 25, 2010

Catfish Crawl 2010 - UVAS Reservoir, Morgan Hill, CA

Awesome Open Water event held at UVAS reservoir just outside my old home town of Morgan Hill in northern California. The fun part about being here, is that Morgan Hill is where my two daughters were raised. When they were little, we used to go to UVAS to catch baby toads and splash around in the water.
When I arrived at the event, there was a heavy marine overcast cloud layer. The conditions were really perfect, even though it was a bit cold for an Arizona transplant. The air temperature was 55 degrees, with a water temp of 72, which caused mist to rise off of the water. We don't get conditions very often like these in AZ. :) The mist made sighting a bit more of a challenge, but I quickly adjusted to it.
This was a really large, well-run event -- lots of California triathletes and Masters swimmers. I saw folks from the Olympic Club, Santa Clara Swim Club, and many more. This time I got a nice "Finisher's Medal" to commerate the event. Here's a photo of my "race goodies". :)

Here's a couple of pictures I snapped when I arrived. They had a professional photographer taking photos as we finished, so when that one if available I'll post it.
If you click the image to see it at full-size, you'll see the mist rising off of the water.

Here's an aerial showing the 2-mile course. This is an old Google shot, and the water level is much lower in this picture than it was during the swim. We started much closer to the parking lot area, but I think you get a good feeling for just how far it is to swim 2 miles. This may sound strange, but I would much rather swim 2 miles than run the same distance. :)