Pages

Sunday, March 21, 2010

Canyon Lake Swim, Kayak, and Tortilla Flat

I talked my daughter and her friend into going with me to Canyon Lake so I could try out my new wetsuit. They paddled around in my kayak while I swam. My wetsuit worked great -- from the neck down. The water was really, really cold. My wetsuit is sleeveless, so my arms felt the cold, but it was tolerable; however, my face was absolutely frigid! I could only swim about 20 strokes before having to stop to allow my face to warm up. I'm guessing the water temp had to be in the low 50's. So, my planned 2000 meter swim turned in 200 meters (8 laps in a 25m pool). I'm hoping the water temperature at Saquaro Lake is at least 10 degrees warmer for my May open water swim with DCB Adventures. With as much snow as we've had this year, I'm thinking the lakes are going to be much cooler this year than normal. I guess I'll just have to harden the f**k up! Here are a couple of pictures of Cristina and Trey in the kayak.
After playing around in the lake, we decided to head over to Tortilla Flat for some grub. What a crazy place.
Cristina got "snap happy" and caught me off guard. I thought she was zooming in to take a photo of my "Life Is Good" t-shirt, but I like the result. Pretty goofy, just like me.
Here's a nice shot of Cristina and Trey. Dig Trey's impersonation of Marty Feldman. :)
There are dollar bills all over the walls and lots of crazy signs and western artifacts. Not only are there dollar bills all over the walls, but people stuff them into the knick-knacks that decorate the nooks and crannies near the dining tables. After our meal, we all signed a dollar and stuck it into a milk bottle that was close to our table.
Cristina signing our dollar
Our dollar's resting place. It's the one rolled up and placed in the neck of the bottle.

Update: I later learned that the water temperature in Canyon Lake was 53 degrees. No wonder it felt so dang cold. I went back the following weekend and the water had actually warmed up by several degrees, which made a huge difference. I ended up ditching my wetsuit and was fine with just my speedo.