Pages

Thursday, November 12, 2009

Update on Swim Workouts

My first workout was great, but tough!! I managed to eke out a measly 750 meters (30 laps) in 60 minutes. I really like the new Masters coach. She really helped me fine-tune my strokes. After 25+ years away from swim workouts, my technique wasn't as good as it could be. But, within 15 minutes of doing stroke correction drills, I saw definite improvement. I read somewhere that swimming well is 70% technique, so I'm well on my way.
My Thursday morning workout went much better. My aerobic capability is already improving and I was able to swim several 100s without stopping to catch my breath. I got in 1000 meters in 60 minutes, which I was very happy about. My goal is to get to 2000-2500 meters in a workout, so I have a lot of work ahead of me. Fortunately, since the Masters swim had been on hiatus due to the former coach moving away, I have Karen all to myself for the time being. What a lucky duck I am!!
A bit about Karen -- she is the swim coach for the new high school in Gilbert. She's an easy-going coach and allows me the time I need to recover between sets. Since I'm working on my fitness right now, there isn't any pressure to go fast. That will come later should I decide to compete again.
Speaking of competing, I went out to watch the Open Water swim at Tempe Town Lake last weekend. I was really inspired by the swimmers who participated. They represented all ages and abilities. One of the competitors was a little 13 year old girl who swam in the 2000 meter wetsuit race. Another of the swimmers who caught my eye was a gentlemen close to my age (maybe a little older) who swam the 2000 meter wetsuit race even though he is missing his right leg below the knee. Seeing that made me even more determined to reach my fitness goals. I have no excuse for not getting back into shape and staying there.
Can you tell I'm stoked!! I am!! Stay tuned for updates. :)