Pages

Monday, November 23, 2009

The Squeaky Wheel Does Get the Grease!!!

Have you ever had this happen? I am sure I'm not the only one who has forgotten whether or not an online payment was scheduled. In my case, it was my home mortgage. I ususally schedule a payment well in advance of the due date and record it in my checking spreadsheet. It turns out that I found two entries for my car payment, that were entered 6 days apart, and in horror, realized I probably had not scheduled my mortgage payment, and instead mistakenly paid my car payment twice!! Yeegads, that's a first.
Well, I tried in vain to ascertain whether or not I had indeed scheduled a payment by first calling Wells Fargo customer service. It turns out that they cannot see whether or not an online payment is pending. Nor could I verify this online through my Wells Fargo Internet account. Boy, talk about frustration.
I ended up emailing Wells Fargo and let them know the problem I was having. Well to my surprise, I received a response within 24 hours, telling me that I had not scheduled a payment. So, there really is a way to tell whether an online payment has been scheduled, it just isn't a feature that is available through normal channels.
Okay, I was glad to know this and was able to schedule a payment in time to meet my mortage deadline; however, I responded to Wells Fargo with the following email:

Thank you for your reply. I appreciate you being able to confirm whether or not I had scheduled a payment.

I would ask that Wells Fargo consider adding this feature to their online service suite of tools.

Ultimately, I realize that I am responsible for knowing whether I have scheduled a payment, but since I am human, there is always the chance that I, as well as others, may make the same mistake another time.

Best regards,

Debra Duane


Here is how Wells Fargo responded:

Dear Debra Duane:

We apologize for our delay in responding to your inquiry.

Re: Loan xxxxxxxxx

Thank you for your reply. You make a valid point regarding the lack of notification for the pending payment transactions. Please be advised however, that Wells Fargo is in the process of adding the notification feature to our online services. Unfortunately we don't have an estimated time when the feature will be made available.

Thank you again for contacting Wells Fargo Home Mortgage. If you have further questions, please reply to this message or contact a loan-servicing representative by calling (866) 234-8271 Monday through Friday between 6 AM and 10 PM CT and on Saturdays between 8 AM and 2 PM CT.

Sincerely,

Kevin Roderick

Mortgage Online Customer Servicer>

So, for all those naysayers who say you can't get anything done by complaining -- yes, you can -- if you go about it the right way. I was taught early on in my adult life that if you are going to complain about something you need to offer a solution along with the complaint. I offered one to Wells Fargo, and they committed to doing it! Way to go Wells Fargo!! Sometimes the squeaky really does get the grease.