Pages

Sunday, August 3, 2008

Say Cheese!

I gottez a new kameraz! Sorry, for the poor spelling, I think I've been spending way too much time at icanhascheezburger.com. Anyhoo, I saw a great deal on a FUJIFILM FinePix S1000fd at Dell and couldn't resist. It's basically the bigger brother of my current camera (FinePix S3100), and has the additional features I've been wanting. It's really great at taking pictures in low-light and indoor situations and the video capability is pretty darn good. I've been tinkering with it for the past week and am finding there is a lot to memorize, but overall, I am extremely happy with the camera. The only down-side is that Fuji, for reasons I cannot understand, didn't design the camera to be able to handle screw-on filters. My older camera came with a special adapter that enabled 55mm screw-on filters. But, not with the new one. I went to Tempe Camera, hoping they might know something I didn't and possibly have a suggestion on how to adapt a filter, but the condescending older gentleman who assisted me, basically told me to forget it. According to him, "Cameras like mine are cranked out in mass quantities and are outdated within 3 months of being produced." You know, you can say the same thing about cars, but that doesn't mean the product is worthless. And, to add insult to injury, he said "Fuji figured people who buy this type of camera wouldn't want to use filters." Okay, what kind of people is he referring to I'd like to know. People who aren't serious about photography maybe? His attitude basically told me that I'm not a serious enough photographer for him since I own a lowly Fuji product (which they no longer carry by the way). Too bad for him, 'cause Tempe Camera lost a customer.
Here are a few shots I've taken that I'm pretty happy with. All were taken indoors without a flash and without a tripod. Click a picture to see it at its actual size.
Cristina's 18th Birthday Flowers

Closeup of lily stamen (Super Macro mode)


Closeup of daisy (Macro mode)

Glass hummingbird - approximately 3" in height (Super Macro mode)

Image taken inside my pantry