Cumberland Gap, that is. :)
After my 2 week stay at Stony Fork, I ventured West to visit the Cumberland Gap National Historical Park, and stay at the Wilderness Road campground. Sooooo much history here, which involved my ancestors, as I mentioned in my previous post.
| Tucked away in Site C-17 at Wilderness Road Campground |
There are lots of historic things to seek out and explore, as well as many trails and geographic sites. I know I'll be back here in a couple of weeks, so I didn't want to exhaust everything in one go, so I limited my exploration to visiting the historic town of Cumberland Gap, TN and the Pinnacle Overlook that is located within Virginia, and very close to the campground.
| Panoramic view from Pinnacle Overlook L-R, Virginia, Tennessee, and Kentucky |
| Cumberland Gap, TN |
It was so clear the day I visited the overlook, that I could actually see the Great Smoky Mountains that are approximately 66 miles south.
The National Park Service commissioned an artwork commemorating the great migration West on the Wilderness Road by artist David Wright. Looking at the scene brings to life what my ancestors experienced so many years ago when they made the journey from Virginia to Kentucky through the gap. A journey fraught with dangers and physical challenges -- one I'm not sure I could have made.
| Gateway to the West by David Wright |
Cumberland Gap, definitely something to put on your bucket list to see and experience.