Pages

Wednesday, August 21, 2013

Kindred Spirits -- Debaru and Elaine-iaK!

While perusing the United States Masters Swimming (USMS) discussion forums in April of 2010, I came across a post by a gal, named Elaine, who mentioned she had grown up in Lakewood, CA. Well, I grew up in Long Beach, which completely surrounds Lakewood, so I wondered if we had ever crossed paths while growing up. The only way to find out was to send her a private message introducing myself and a bit of my Long Beach history and ask. Here is her original response:

Well, what started as a couple of questions has turned into a very special friendship. After that first private message, we began communicating frequently via email and through the forum, and I have Elaine (and another forumite, Michael) to thank for encouraging me to get back into competitive pool swimming.

Elaine and I met in person for the first time at the USMS Spring National championship swim meet in April of 2011, which was held in Mesa, AZ. Click here to read my post on that event. One of my best memories of that meeting is of Elaine and Michael screaming at me from the opposite end of the pool during the Butterfly portion of my Individual Medley (IM) race. I know it helped me to swim faster!
Me and Elaine enjoying a post-meet brew at Four Peaks in Tempe

The next time we met was in January 2012 for Elaine's 50th birthday party in California. She was kind enough to invite me and how could I say no! What an honor! Elaine's sister, Gail, hosted an absolutely fabulous birthday dinner, where I got to meet her entire family. During my visit, she and I were hoping to swim at the famous Belmont Plaza Pool, but due to a mechanical issue, the pool had been drained, so instead, we swam in the small outdoor workout pool. During that visit, Elaine and I talked about swimming so much, I think her poor husband's head was going to explode.
 Belmont Plaza Pool -- empty, but still beautiful!
Post-workout at the Martin Luther King Pool in Long Beach
Bruce and Elaine -- Long Beach (Belmont Pier in the background)
Cheers! Enjoying another great meal and good brew at the Belmont Brewing Company

Meeting number three took place in June of 2012, with me visiting Elaine and Bruce in their home state of Georgia. As part of my visit, Elaine and I competed in a swim meet, which was held at the University of Georgia. Click here for all the wonderful details (I took lots of great photos during that trip).
Elaine between races at the University of Georgia
All smiles at the University of Georgia pool

Our latest meeting recently took place in August of this year at the USMS Summer Nationals in Mission Viejo, CA, which I posted about a week ago. What I didn't include in that post, were pictures of Elaine. I ended up taking only one of her, where she modeled the "I Heart Breaststroke" t-shirt I gave her. Fortunately, her husband Bruce took a couple of really great photos of the two of us.
Just after we ran into each other in Mission Viejo
Hanging out between races
Unfortunately, I was only able to spend a small amount of time with Elaine and Bruce in between races, but we were able to get away for lunch at our beloved Togo's sandwich shop. Love that #24 (Turkey and Avocado)!! We sat outside in the perfect southern California weather and just chatted for about 3 hours. It was pure heaven!!

I'm not sure when I will get to see Elaine next, actually, tomorrow wouldn't be soon enough, but thanks to U.S. Masters swimming, I know I have a friend for life. She and I are definitely what I would call "kindred spirits".

Oh, and if you're wondering -- Debaru?? Elaine-iaK?? You'll just have to check out the USMS forums to find out.

Love ya, Elaine!!