Pages

Tuesday, January 1, 2013

2013 Resolution -- No TV

Yup! You heard it correctly. No TV for me this year, and hopefully every year to come. Quite the resolution for someone who was born into the TV age. Television has been such a huge part of my life since I was born. Romper Room, Engineer Bill, Ding-Dong School, Rocky & Bullwinkle, The Wonderful World of Color, Bonanza, Mutual of Omaha's - Wild Kingdom -- the list goes on and on.
In my early twenties, I chose to not have a TV and didn't miss it. I was busy riding my horse, hiking, biking, camping, ocean swimming, and just being outdoors as much as possible. It wasn't until I had children of my own that a TV re-entered my home. I have to admit -- letting the kids watch Barney and Sesame Street had its advantages, but neither of my girls sat and watched as much TV as I did when I was their age.

Over the past couple of years, I've come to realize just how much time I've been wasting sitting on the sofa, watching pointless TV programs. Honestly, with over 250 channels on DISH Network, I have found it really difficult to find anything meaningful to watch. I love National Geographic, PBS, History Channel, etc., but even these networks often offer silly shows such as "Doomsday Preppers" and "Man v. Monster". And don't get me started with "Ancient Aliens". C'mon! What happened to TV? And, what has happened to me as a result?

Well, no more. On December 30, I gladly donated my 52" LED TV to my daughter and her boyfriend. They have no intention of watching TV programming, but instead, will be using the TV with NetFlix and the companion Blu-Ray player to watch movies. I thought of doing the same, but I have to admit it, I'm a TV addict. Switching from DISH to NetFlix, which would still allow me to watch all the TV programming I could want, really wouldn't be any different. My daughter, doesn't have the same addiction as her mother, so I had no reservations giving my TV to her.

I'm not trying to make anyone feel bad for watching TV. For me, it's a choice I willingly made and needed to make. Now, when I have some down time, instead of plopping down and watching TV, I'll get busy doing something more productive, and hopefully avoid this scenario.
The Internet can be just as addictive, but fortunately for me, the World Wide Web is something I use sparingly and has yet to become a problem. Considering the fact I've been active on the Internet since its inception, I don't think I have anything to worry about.