Pages

Thursday, November 4, 2010

Having a "Devil" of a time

I'm having a devilish good time swimming with Sun Devil Masters out at ASU. I finally made up my mind after deliberating for over 6 months. I had two great teams to choose from, the other being Mesa Aquatic Masters, but decided on Sun Devil Masters. I just feel more at home with the Sun Devils.
The main reason why it took me so long to make up my mind, is it meant making a radical change to my daily routine. Instead of getting up at 5:15 AM to head to the gym for my pool workouts during the week, I now swim at 6:00 PM, so I just head over to ASU after work.
 
I was reluctant to change because I thought I would be too tired to swim after work, but so far I've found just the opposite to be true. I've read a few articles that suggest it is better to work out later in the day (between 2 and 4) than earlier. This is due to the fact that we're fully awake, well-fueled, our bodies are warmed up, and our brains are functioning at their peak.
 
I'm just starting my second year after returning to swimming and I'm so glad I made it back. I've accomplished so much this past year. I completed four open water swim competitions (3 here and 1 in California) and attended 3 swim classes and 1 clinic. My biggest accomplishment by far this past summer was finally learning how to swim butterfly. Woot!! My next goal is to become more proficient at competitive swimming and start entering swim meets. Joining Sun Devil Masters should go a long way to reaching that goal.