Pages

Tuesday, October 13, 2009

What's in a name?

My favorite nickname is of course, Debaru. Why Debaru, you may ask? I'm sure it has something to do with the Subarus I've owned during the past 10 years, and the fact that my first name is Debra. Well, to my surprise, I learned today that the word "Debaru" in Japanese translated in English means: to project, to stand out, to jut out, and to protrude.

Now I like to think that because I drive a Subaru, I tend to stand apart (or stand out) from the crowd. Let's face it, Subarus aren't the most common car on the road. If you ask most people "who drives a Subaru?", you'll probably get "hippies and tree huggers" for a reply. Now, I don't think I fit into either category -- I just happen to like Subarus -- a lot! I'm not trying to make some kind of cosmic statement to the world. So, if you happen to be driving in the Phoenix-metro area and some crazy lady cuts you off in a sage green Subaru Forester with Debaru on the license plate, cut her some slack -- "she's just standing out".