Pages

Wednesday, May 27, 2009

A little trip down Memory Lane

I was born and raised in Long Beach, and practically lived at the beach (when I wasn't riding my horse), so I'm always ready to take that proverbial "trip down memory lane" to the coast whenever the chance arises. Such a chance arose over Memorial weekend, as my daughters had been invited to attend their Aunt Angela's wedding in Dana Point.
On the trip West, we took Highway 8 so we could make our annual pilgramage to the Desert View Tower. I also took the opportunity to drive my oldest daughter, Cheryl, around my old haunts in Newport Beach. I lived and worked there for several years while in my twenties. I didn't bring my Fuji camera along, but relied on my trusty cell phone camera. Following are some pictures and commentary for your enjoyment.
This huge Coral tree is located along Cliff Drive in Newport Beach. The stitched photo that follows shows the view from this vantage point. Many times during my lunch hour I would park here and eat my lunch, or just sit and enjoy the view.

While on our way to our hotel, we stopped at San Clemente State Beach and the girls couldn't resist taking a dip. Here's Cristina and Cheryl posing with some kelp.
This and the following pictures were taken at the boulder park at the Desert View Tower. If you ever travel Highway 8 from Phoenix to San Diego, you should stop and check this place out. During the depression an out-of-work engineer carved several interesting sculptures into the rocks.
Eww! You've got bad breath!
Some Guinea fowl that happened along.
Aaron, Cheryl, and Cristina chillin' out amongst the boulders.
Cheryl and Aaron striking a pose.
Entering Boulder Park.
The Tower in at it's glory. I first visited this place in 1973 with my sister Pam on a day trip. It hasn't changed much in 36 years.